Location, location, location. Make sure you know exactly where you want to place the tree indoors. Measure the size of the area and keep those records with you when you go to pick out your tree. Your spot should be away from the fireplace, candles, space heaters, etc.
- Choose wisely. When buying a live tree, try to pick the freshest tree possible. This is more easily done if you cut your own tree out of a Christmas tree farm. Look for a bright green, healthy tree with few brown needles. The needles should bed with a touch and not fall off. Check for any insects on the tree; if present, either pick another tree or spray the tree with an approved insecticide before bringing it into your house. Shake the tree as well to see if any green needles fall off. Do expect a few brown needles to fall when shaking, as that is normal.
- Ants on your pants! If buying from a tree farm, be careful walking through the grass as you may come in contact with fire ants in the South.
- Be sure to measure first. Make sure you don’t buy a larger tree than the allotted area you measured! You don’t want to cut the top out of a tree!
- Stay hydrated. Once you get the tree home, make a cut across the base of the tree and immediately place it in water. Check to make sure your stand is suitable for the size tree you chose.
- WATER. Keep the tree watered at all times! Failure in supplying adequate water will kill the tree and create a mess inside your house. If the tree stand runs out of water, the cut on the base of the tree may start to seal over and not allow any water uptake. This will kill your tree.
- I repeat: WATER, WATER, WATER!!
- “Keep the change, ya filthy animal.” Try not to let your pets drink the water out of the tree stand, as they might get sick (and the tree will dry out)
- Be careful when it comes to electricity… When placing lights in the tree, make sure no wires are cut and that all lights are working properly. Try to minimize using too many extension cords as they may get too hot. Make sure to unplug your lights before you go to bed.
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Have fun decorating your tree and have a Merry Christmas!